Job Title : Lifeguarding Apprenticeship
Employer : 1Life - Willesden Sports Centre - Brent
Location : Willesden, Hertfordshire, NW10 3QX
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-31592
Vacancy Short Description : 1Life Willesden Leisure Centre are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work towards their Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management and be part of a friendly team to provide a fun, safe and quality experience for all of our customers.
Qualifications Required : No previous qualifications required.
Vacancy Full Description : Are you passionate about fitness and leisure and want to start your career in this industry?
Are you energetic and enthusiastic? If you would like to be part of a leading national organisation that reward and develop their team, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for a Leisure Assistant to work towards their Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management.
The key is to ensure the smooth operation of the centre, maintaining high standards of safety, cleanliness and hygiene. You will advise and assist users of the centre and exceed their customer service expectations.
Your main duties will include:
1. To promote quality customer care at all times, dealing with minor complaints and reporting serious complaints to the Duty Manager.
2. To check the safety of equipment and to report any damage or malfunction of equipment, plant or building fabric to the Duty Manager immediately after discovery.
3. To assist in the preparation and operation of events and activities, including the assembly and dismantling of equipment and minor repairs when required.
4. To maintain the vigilant supervision of the pool users at all time
5. To carry out first aid, resuscitation and effective pool rescues.
6. To attend regular staff training sessions as set out in the Centre’s procedures, you will be required to maintain your NPLQ by also attending the required training sessions according to the Centre’s Procedures.
7. To undertake general lifeguard duties ensuring that the poolside is never left unattended for any reason whatsoever.
8. To conduct pool water tests at presented intervals ensuring water quality is maintained and carry out backwashes in line with specification.
9. In the absence of the Duty Manager, to be aware of general pool conditions i.e. water clarity and odour and report any deviances from the norm to the Duty Manager.
10. In the absence of the Duty Manager, to monitor the number of swimmers in the pool at any one time and where numbers exceed the specified limits and/or additional lifeguards are required to advise the Duty Manager.
If you do not already hold your NPLQ, you will put on the course and must pass in order to continue with the apprenticeship.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Flexibility towards the hours and role are essential as you will be required to work on a shift-rota basis including evenings, weekends and bank holidays. This is a full-time role of 39 hours per week.
The programme is 12-15 months in duration and you will be employed on a fixed term 12-15 month contract. On successfully completing your Apprenticeship we would expect to be able to offer you continued employment and development opportunities.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 39 Hours a week inc. evenings and weekends
Weekly Wage : £150.00
Application Deadline Date : 25/11/2019
Possible Start Date : 02/12/2019
Personal Qualities : Committed to gaining qualifications and start career in leisure industry.
Skills Required : Must be a strong swimmer
Candidates must have a keen interest within the leisure industry and want to progress within this field.
Future Prospects : On-going training and development encouraged by the employer which will give the applicant the opportunity to move on to a full time job.
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The map below shows the employer's location