Job Title : Apprentice Chef
Employer : Cairn Group - The Old Ship Hotel - Brighton
Location : Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1NR
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Hospitality
Vacancy Reference : VAC-36996
Vacancy Short Description : As a member of the Cairn Hotel Group, you are required to project a positive and enthusiastic attitude at all times, ensuring that the guests needs are met to the highest possible standard and that customer care along with attention to detail is paramount at all times. All opportunities to increase sales should be encouraged throughout the hotel or venue.
As an Apprentice Chef, you will help members of the kitchen brigade prepare and cook dishes while training. You may also oversee food supplies in refrigerators and storerooms, cleans and serves food when necessary. Additionally, under supervision, you may operate kitchen equipment such as mixers, choppers, fryers, toasters, steamers, stoves and oven.
Qualifications Required : No qualifications required!
Vacancy Full Description : Main Duties
• Work with other chefs to learn, practice and finally independently manage food preparation and baking techniques
• Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of chef
• Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
• Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the venue’s policies
• Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
• Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
• Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organized at all times
• Cook, prepare and present food to ensure economical, quality and timely food production
• Controls methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods to ensure food is prepared in prescribed manner
• Work with other chefs to manage stock surpluses and use them to prepare food
• Ensure that all aspects of environmental health, health and safety, food, fire and other legislation is adhered to in the Kitchen
• Observe all relevant Health and Safety and EHO legislation to ensure all working practises and processes reflect best practise
• Provide on-going support to all Kitchen staff
• Contribute to the process of continual service improvement, ie suggesting improvements and solutions and helping to implement changes
• Undertaking mandatory training as required
• To achieve the Level 2 in Hospitality Commis Chef Level 2
• Attend all of the training sessions for the programme, whenever necessary
• Carry out any other reasonable duties that may be requested by management that pertains to the total operation, from time to time
• To promote equality and diversity as part of the culture of the organisation
• To adhere all times to the company’s confidentiality and data protection requirements
• Act in a professional manner at all times and one that promotes the company’s high quality reputation and integrity
• To work in an anti-discriminatory manner mindful of the values, customs and spiritual beliefs of the individual
• To undertake any other duties and responsibilities as directed to do so in order to meet the requirements of your role or needs of the business
• To comply with all company policies as detailed within the employee handbook
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours spread across multiple shifts, working 5 out of 7 days including weekends. No split shifts!
Weekly Wage : £224.00
Application Deadline Date : 01/10/2018
Possible Start Date : 08/10/2018
Personal Qualities : Attention to detail
Skills Required : Key Skills
• Knowledge of different ingredients, cooking equipment and kitchen procedures
• Organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
• An aptitude to learn quickly
• Good Customer Service skills
• Team player
• Ability to multi-task whilst working in a high pressure environment
Future Prospects : Upon successful completion of the Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship you may have the opportunity to apply for a Commis Chef position!
Training to be Provided : Commis Chef Level 2
Functional Skills Maths
Functional Skills English
Functional Skills IT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.70 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £5.90 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.38 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £7.83 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The map below shows the employer's location