Job Title : Apprentice Chef - Abingdon
Employer : The Close Nursing and Residential Home
Location : Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 3DP
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Hospitality
Vacancy Reference : VAC-44675
Vacancy Short Description : We are looking for an Apprentice Chef to work in all aspects of the home, from fine dining (3 AA rosette standard) Bristro food, classic world-wide cooking in the home and playing with food in our new texture modification kitchen to learn the new catering classification of IDDSI.
Qualifications Required : No qualifications required.
Vacancy Full Description : Key Objectives:
• To assist the Chef in all aspects of the kitchen routine.
• To ensure Environmental Hygiene regulations are meticulously adhered to maintaining at all times the highest possible standards of hygiene.
1) Assist in the preparation of meals for residents and staff i.e. vegetable preparation, bringing food from the store cupboards, sandwich making, salad preparation and sweet preparation.
2) Assist with the checking of deliveries. Take food to appropriate store cupboard etc after delivery has been accepted and signed for by the senior person on duty.
3) Maintain the highest possible standards of hygiene. Use the cleaning rota and take advice/instruction from senior kitchen staff.
4) Deliver meals with crockery and cutlery after completion of meals and deal with accordingly.
5) To carry out cleaning duties as per the cleaning rota’s, ensuring that all work surfaces, wash utensils and floors are clean at the end of each day.
6) Attend to any other tasks required of you by the chef on duty.
7) To ensure the food hygiene regulations are maintained at all times.
8) To ensure the kitchens are left clean and tidy at the end of your shift.
9) To ensure all records required to be maintained by you are done so accurately and legibly.
10) Have regard for your own health and safety and the health and safety of others. Hazards, potential hazards, accidents and other untoward occurrences, faulty equipment etc should be reported to the Matron, and any necessary steps taken to prevent injury.
11) To keep information about residents confidential at all times.
12) To know where all the fire equipment is located and how it is operated.
13) To be aware of COSHH Regulations and how it is operated.
14) Carry out all procedures laid down in accordance with the Company Policy.
15) To take part in staff meetings whenever possible.
16) It is a requirement of employment that all staff participate in training programmes organised by the company.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours per week, 5 days out of 7, no nights (latest finish is 7pm).
Weekly Wage : £210.00
Application Deadline Date : 14/01/2020
Possible Start Date : 21/01/2020
Personal Qualities : A passion to excel in the Hospitality Industry.
Skills Required : Just an enthusiastic and positive attitude, we will provide the rest
Future Prospects : After a 6 month probationary period we will increase the hourly rate to £7.50 per hour. Progression also available!
Training to be Provided : Hospitality Team Member Apprenticeship - Food Preparation
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate
applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first
year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if
they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage
rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and
over. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's
part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week)
Things to consider : This is a care home but again not your normal care home so look past the title and come and see the home!
The map below shows the employer's location