Job Title : Recreation Assistant Apprentice
Employer : Castle Sports Complex & Pool - Spalding
Location : Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2AJ
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Leisure Operations and Leisure Management - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-45253
Vacancy Short Description : This is an outstanding career opportunity with a market leader committed to providing a diverse and meaningful range of leisure and culture related activities for the local communities in which we serve. This is a 12-15 month apprenticeship, which aims to provide our apprentice a range of experience and help them develop and progress into the leisure industry.
Located in the heart of Spalding we are a traditional Leisure Centre with a wide range of facilities to offer our members and pay as you go customers including a gym, dance studios, 25m swimming pool with a diving pit, 20m teaching pool, sports hall, sauna, crèche and a friendly onsite café.
Qualifications Required : No previous qualifications required!
Vacancy Full Description : We are looking for a Recreation Assistant Apprentice, who is passionate about working in the leisure industry. The Recreation Assistant will be responsible for maintaining the service delivery and cleanliness of the Centre, reporting to the Duty Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the
safety and enjoyment of those using the Centre!
This will be a varied role within the club and your main duties will include:
• Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use.
• Monitoring and helping to maintain a safe and comfortable leisure centre environment by implementing organisational maintenance schedules.
• Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required.
• Assisting customers with enquires in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care.
• Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility.
• Taking occasional responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff.
• In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies.
• Meeting the training and development requirements of the job role.
Reception duties including telephone enquiries and face to face enquiries
• Working within the job role description at this level, recognising the standards and professional limitations that this provides, referring to appropriate members of staff for guidance and support.
• Maintaining a safe pool environment through excellent lifeguarding practices
• Carrying out regular cleaning and maintenance regimes
• Preparation of activity area and equipment
• Attendance at regular pool training
A Recreation Assistant is responsible for the cleaning, preparation and general safety of areas in a sport and recreation facility.
To be considered for this role, you must be a strong and confident swimmer.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 30 Hours Per Week Inc. Evenings and Weekends
Weekly Wage : £220.00
Application Deadline Date : 17/03/2020
Possible Start Date : 24/03/2020
Personal Qualities : ● It is essential that you have excellent communication skills and commitment to customer service.
● Previous experience is ideal, however successful applicants will be provided with full training.
● You will be required to work on a rotating shift pattern which includes early mornings, evenings and weekends.
● You will be required to undertake a full DBS check.
Skills Required : Candidates must be passionate about wanting to work within the leisure industry and willing to work towards their Apprenticeship. Training will be provided to work towards an Level 2 in Leisure Operations and RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
Future Prospects : Possible progression to further learning or possible full time job
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management Level 2
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The map below shows the employer's location