Job Title : Leisure Apprentice
Employer : St Albans Sports Centre
Location : York, North Yorkshire, YO62 4HA
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-45444
Vacancy Short Description : St Albans Sports Centre requires a Leisure apprentice to assist the team in the day to day operational running of the centre. The apprentice will experience and train in all aspects of our facility, both wet and dry side.
Qualifications Required : None. All training given on the job or through lifetime training.
Vacancy Full Description : Main Duties
• Support the team in the smooth running of the day to day activities of the St Alban’s Sports Centre
• Lifeguarding on Poolside
• Maintaining concentrated observation of pool users in order to anticipate problems and quickly identify an emergency so it can be dealt with
• Ensuring compliance with St Alban’s Centre and Ampleforth Abbey Trust policies and procedures at all times, including but not limited to Health and Safety, Safeguarding legislation, emergency operating procedures, COSHH regulations and risk assessments
• Answer the telephone, deal with customer enquiries and provide up to date Sports Centre information to clients and customers
• Fitness suite operations, including maintaining equipment, gym inductions and programmes
• Erect and dismantle equipment
• Ensure the care and safety of the public, students and staff
• Undertake cleaning duties when required
• Attend relevant courses and training as necessary
• Providing First Aid treatment(when qualified) as and when required
• Carry out any other duties applicable to the role
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 40 hours - shift work
Weekly Wage : £192.00
Application Deadline Date : 12/06/2019
Possible Start Date : 19/06/2019
Personal Qualities : Pro active
Willing to learn
Skills Required : The suitable candidate would be a proactive individual that is not afraid to get involved in all activities. Customer service is key so the candidate would need to be confident and well presented.
Future Prospects : There is the possibility of future employment at the sports centre and keep developing their skills to become more qualified and lead activities for the centre.
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management Level 2
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location