Job Title : Apprentice Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant
Employer : Haberdashers Askes School - Elstree
Location : Borehamwood, London, WD6 3AF
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-45842
Vacancy Short Description : Working on behalf of the Estate and supporting the PE Department under the direction of the Sports Facilities Manger, the Sports Centre and Swimming Pool Assistant will assist in maintaining the Sports Centre facility and equipment, provide reception and booking functions, assist with key events, and form part of a lifeguard team for other swimming events.
Qualifications Required : No previous qualifications required.
Vacancy Full Description : General Duties will include but aren't limited to the below;
• Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
• Assistance to Director of Sport and the PE Department in the preparation and provision of equipment and facilities in support of the PE curriculum, including assistance for swimming galas and water polo fixtures and acting as a lifeguard.
• Liaising with the cleaning contractor and staff responsible for events to ensure that the cleanliness of the Sports Centre is maintained.
• Maintain the storage of equipment and resources.
• Prepare sports facilities ready for handover to staff in charge of evening lettings.
• Lifeguarding of lessons and events in the sports facilities
• Be aware of the school's own H&S policies and procedures, in particular the swimming pool, Pool Safety Operating Procedures (PSOP & EAP) Emergency Action Plan and Conditions of Use and ensure these are adhered to by all
• Clean the swimming pool and conduct maintenance, back wash and regular daily tests of pool water quality during working hours. Arranging with the duty caretaker for testing to be carried out over the weekend and school closure dates where required.
• First line maintenance of sports equipment including cleaning and lubrication of fitness suite equipment
• Ensure with maintenance repairs to be carried out and supervise and co-ordinate emergency repairs when required.
• Liaise with the Facilities Assistant, Senior Caretaker and Grounds Manager over bookings and use as necessary.
• Any other reasonable activities as determined by the Sports Facilities Manager, Facilities and Commercial Manager, Director Sport or School.
The programme is 12 months in duration and you will be employed on a fixed term 12 month contract. On successfully completing your Apprenticeship we would expect to be able to offer you continued employment and development opportunities.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following:
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 37.5 Hours Per Week
Weekly Wage : £332.25
Application Deadline Date : 26/08/2019
Possible Start Date : 02/09/2019
Personal Qualities : • An interest in sport/sporting activities.
• Discretion, courtesy, honesty and integrity.
• Reliable, punctual, and hard-working.
• Smart, professional and presentable.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
Skills Required : • Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills, with the ability to interact effectively with boys, staff, senior management and visitors.
• Sound initiative with the confidence and the resilience to see a job through to completion and to seek direction and guidance when needed.
• Competent IT skills with intermediate level MS Office skills is desirable.
• Good literacy and numeracy skills with excellent attention to detail.
• Good administrative and organisational skills with the ability to organise and prioritise work.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Future Prospects : Potential of fulltime employment on successful completion of the 12 months apprenticeship
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Currently the School offers a wide range of benefits to staff, including:
• A strong commitment to professional development, with a substantial budget for whole school training and individual courses. Support is given for sabbaticals, post-graduate degrees and other relevant qualifications;
• Enrolment into the School’s pension scheme, with 12% employer contribution, based on 5% individual contribution
• Group Life Assurance (4 x salary);
• Fee Remission of up to 66% for each eligible child at the Boys’ and Girls’ Schools who is offered a place; pro rata for part time staff
• Childcare Vouchers; where eligible
• Free lunches, other meals and refreshments;
• Free parking on the School campus;
• Free coach travel on the service provided by the School (subject to availability);
• Tax free bicycles for work through the Cycle to Work Scheme;
• Free use of the state-of-the-art Medburn Centre including fitness suite, swimming pool and squash courts, including free training programmes and advice from the School’s Fitness Coach;
• Access to the School Counsellor.
• Free lunch provided
• Employee Assistance Programme
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location