Job Title : Leisure Recreation Assistant / Lifeguard Apprentice
Employer : (SLM) Porchester Centre - Bayswater
Location : Bayswater, London, W2 5HS
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Activity Leadership - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-46193
Vacancy Short Description : As part of the Everyone Active apprenticeship scheme we are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work towards their Leisure Operations & Leisure Management Level 2 apprenticeship and be part of a friendly team to provide a fun, safe and quality experience for all of our customers. The apprenticeship will be based throughout the Westminster Borough assisting in all leisure operations across our Westminster leisure facilities.
Qualifications Required : - No Previous Qualifications are required (All required qualifications will be delivered as part of the apprenticeship)
- Maths and English GCSE are not required as Functional Skills Level 1 will be delivered as part of the apprenticeship if no prior achievement is present
Vacancy Full Description : Everyone Active are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work towards their Leisure Operations & Leisure Management Level 2 apprenticeship and be part of a friendly team to provide a fun, safe and quality experience for all of our customers.
As part of your apprenticeship you will be required to work towards the following leisure qualification:
- NPLQ (If necessary based on site requirements for pool operations)
- Level 2 Leisure Operations
- Level 2 Employment Awareness
Your duties will include:
• Effective communication with other team members
• Equipment setups safely and on time
• Maintenance of company standards at all times
• Provision of safe and effective pool supervision
• Building cleanliness and undertaking other various housekeeping duties
• Building and being part of a successful and well-motivated team
• Delivering excellent customer service at all times.
This is a full-time position and you will be required to work between 30 hours per week on a shift basis at your designated centre. You will receive on-going training and benefit from free use of the gym and swimming pool.
The programme is 12 months in duration and you will be employed on a fixed term 12 month contract. On successfully completing your Apprenticeship we would expect to be able to offer you continued employment and development opportunities.
To be considered for this role, you must be a strong and confident swimmer.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 30 hours shift work inc. evenings and weekends
Weekly Wage : £268.50
Application Deadline Date : 09/09/2019
Possible Start Date : 16/09/2019
Personal Qualities : • A strong work ethic including attention to detail, willingness to adapt to change, and time management
• A positive attitude to work and act as a role model within their local community
• Ability to work individually and as a member of a team
• Truthful, sincere and trustworthy in their actions; can demonstrate integrity by doing the right thing; exhibits high levels of emotional intelligence
• A willingness to learn and contribute to their own continuing professional development
Skills Required : Candidates must be passionate about wanting to work within the leisure industry and willing to work towards their apprenticeship.
Future Prospects : Possible progression onto further qualifications and a full time position
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management Level 2
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : Requirement to assist in the leisure facility operations across our Westminster Borough Council Everyone Active Facilities is essential:
Little Venice S.C
Marshall Street L.C
Queen Mother S.C
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The apprenticeship will be based both indoor and outdoor in a range of different leisure environments.
Competence training is completed every month to ensure skills are kept up to date and each colleague is eligible to work in the specific areas of our leisure facilities
The map below shows the employer's location