Job Title : Sports Coaching Apprenticeships - Berkshire (x20!)
Employer : Get Berkshire Active
Location : Berkshire, SL7 IRR
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-47682
Vacancy Short Description : The Royal Foundation have launched Coach Core, innovative and exciting sports coaching apprenticeship targeting young people who wish to gain further education and employment in sport.
Qualifications Required : You do not have to have previous experience of coaching the sport as full training and support will be given.
Vacancy Full Description : This year ‘Coach Core Berkshire’ will employ 20 young people who have the potential of becoming the future sports coach. We will be inviting all eligible applicants to our recruitment event taking place in September.
The Royal Foundation are working in partnership with ‘Coach Core Berkshire’ on their Coach Core programme. You will work towards your Community Activator Coach Apprenticeship L2 Standard.
Those who demonstrate commitment and a will to want to better themselves in this sports coaching programme will then be offered year+ long employment working and training for 30 hours a week on Coach Core beginning in October 2019.
‘Team Berkshire’ is made up of the following employers:
Everyone Active Bracknell
Community Badminton/Badminton England
Places 4 People Wokingham
Coach Core Benefits
• Achieve qualifications and vocational training that matches the criteria required by employers within the sports industry.
• Mentoring and experience of working alongside professionals from the industry including Sports Development Officers, experienced sports coaches and personnel from National Governing Bodies.
• Practical experience of working in the industry at sports event, in schools, in clubs and coaching within sports venues.
• An opportunity to meet new people of a similar age, have fun, become a role model and give something back to the community.
• The opportunity to attend exciting events and training throughout the apprenticeship
In July 2012, The Royal Foundation launched Coach Core; a new, innovative and exciting sports coaching apprenticeship targeting young people who wish to gain further education and employment in sport. Since then, apprentices in cities across the UK have been able to enjoy an intensive but incredible opportunity to become educated and employed for 14-18 months with some of the biggest sports providers and clubs in the industry.
With a full support team in place, apprentices have thrived both with their professional and personal development as we look to enhance the lives and opportunities for all Coach Core students from the first day to the last.
Successful applicants will be involved in a paid full-time sports coaching training programme to support your development and prepare you for future employment. At the end of the 14-18 months, you will leave with recognised qualifications, new skills, knowledge and a wealth of experience working as a trainee sports coach plus the opportunity to attend events unique to this programme.
The apprenticeship role will include:
• Help to inspire children, young people and clients to develop and lead healthy active lifestyles
• Assist in delivering sessions taking the lead with small groups as directed
• Assist in assessing, recording and reporting on children’s / clients progress and development
• Assist in the planning and delivery of programmes
• Assist in maintaining the health and safety at all times
• Assist leaders in the management and organisation of activities, actions and programmes
• Help to deliver effectively programmes, activities and actions within their function
You must also:
• Possess a passion for physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
• Be organised and able to work effectively in teams and as an individual, always maintaining a professional approach to work.
• Be able to relate well to, motivate, and encourage others being conscious of being a positive role model at all times.
• Have an enthusiastic attitude to life and work.
• Have the ability to make learning and work fun.
All applicants must be available for a 2-day assessment which will take place in October
Number of Positions Available : 20
Working Week : 30 hours shift work inc. evenings and weekends
Weekly Wage : £117.00
Application Deadline Date : 30/09/2019
Possible Start Date : 07/10/2019
Skills Required : Candidates must be enthusiastic about wanting to work within their chosen coaching area and be committed to the 14-18 month apprenticeship.
Future Prospects : Possible progression onto further qualifications
Training to be Provided : Level 2 Community Activator Coach Apprenticeship
Functional Skills in English and Maths
Other Information : Successful applicants will be involved in a paid full-time sports coaching training programme to support your development and prepare you for future employment. At the end of the 12 months, you will leave with recognised skills, knowledge and a wealth of experience working as a trainee sports coach plus the opportunity to attend events unique to this programme.
Please note that you will be expected to do at least 20 hours delivery work per week; this will include evening and weekend work. You will also have to attend 10 hours education each week which will take place in Berkshire.
Here are some top tips and info if you wish to apply:
1) Be completely honest in your application. We will be asking for evidence and will check any information you give.
2) Tell us about YOU! This programme wants to give young people an opportunity to succeed so we are looking for leaders, people who love sport and amazing stories NOT who is the smartest or the most qualified.
3) The 2 day recruitment day will be mainly practical so be ready to roll up your sleeves and get involved at all times!
Make sure that you think carefully about where you would be best placed, where the delivery work will take place, how you will get to and from the office and sessions, the type of sport you will be delivering.
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : Please note, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed with your choices but we will do our best to ensure that you have a placement that you enjoy and can easily travel to.
The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location