Job Title : Apprentice Leisure Attendant/Lifeguard
Employer : Penwortham Leisure Centre - Preston
Location : Preston, Lancashire, PR1 0JE
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Leisure Operations and Leisure Management - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-49265
Vacancy Short Description : Penwortham Leisure are looking for driven and sport and leisure passionate candidates to join them to work towards their Leisure Operations Level 2 and NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguarding Qualification)
Qualifications Required : Minimum GCSE or equivalent.
Any sports or fitness related qualification.
Both are desirable but not essential.
Vacancy Full Description : The Leisure Attendants role is to work within the leisure centre ensuring customer safety and high standards of service and customer care at all times in of utmost importance. The role will involve supervision of specific poolside activities, maintaining high standards of cleanliness in particular in customer critical areas and the safe handling and set up of equipment.
• Provide supervision of swimming pools to ensure customer safety at all times by preventing accidents and incidents and by taking the appropriate action in the event of these occurring.
• Ensure equipment is set up in order to meet the needs of the programmed activities.
• Undertake cleaning tasks as required to ensure the centre is well presented and monitor standards of cleanliness in customer critical areas such as changing rooms and toilets.
• Monitor customer use within the centre and ensure unsafe practices are promptly dealt with or reported as appropriate.
• Maintain high levels of customer service at all times ensuring you have a full product knowledge of the services and activities available at the centre
• Attend monthly swimming training sessions in order to demonstrate competency and maintain a valid NPLQ qualification.
• Follow the processes laid down in the SMS (Serco Management System), in particular, the Pool Normal Operating, Pool Emergency and Centre Emergencies Procedures.
• Consistently and actively apply good housekeeping principles, such as turning off lights and equipment when not in use, in order to contribute to our strategy to reduce utility consumption and carbon footprint.
To be considered for this role, you must be a strong and confident swimmer.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 37 hours per week
Weekly Wage : £144.30
Application Deadline Date : 06/11/2019
Possible Start Date : 13/11/2019
Personal Qualities : High personal integrity and motivation.
An open, honest and outgoing personality.
Skills Required : Good communication skills.
Good strong swimmer
Have the ability to remain vigilant, alert and attentive
Have the ability to be calm and in control in pressurised situations such as emergencies
Have the ability to set and achieve high standards of centre cleanliness and presentation
Have the ability to deal with customers of all age groups.
Sustain a level of fitness to enable the physical aspects of the position to be undertaken
Self motivated and organised.
Friendly and outgoing.
Future Prospects : Potential to move on to further qualifications and job roles.
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations and Leisure Management
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location