Job Title : Apprentice Lifeguard
Employer : Places for People - Gosport Leisure Centre - Hampshire
Location : Gosport, Hampshire, PO13 0ZX
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-49895
Vacancy Short Description : Looking for a career as a Lifeguard? Gosport Leisure Centre are looking for strong swimmers to join their team as an apprentice Lifeguard.
Qualifications Required : No Qualifications Required
Vacancy Full Description : As a lifeguard Apprentice you will be responsible for ensuring the comfort and safety of all users at the leisure centre and working towards your Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations.
You will also be required to provide customer service to the highest standard.
Your duties and overall role will include:
1. To maintain vigilant supervision of pool users and ensure their safety at all times.
2. To administer first aid, effect pool rescues and apply resuscitation as necessary.
3. To comply with the Centre’s Health and Safety procedures at all times.
4. To deal with customers in a friendly and professional manner.
5. To report any matter of concern to the Duty Manager immediately.
6. To carry out cleaning duties as necessary.
7. To wear the prescribed staff uniform at all times.
8. To carry out patrols of the Centre.
9. To prepare activity areas involving the setting up/dismantling of equipment.
10. To ensure that all Centre equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use.
11. To report any maintenance issues using the appropriate procedures.
12. To assist the Duty Manager with any tasks involved in the operation of the Centre.
13. To maintain any suggested training requirements.
All applicants must be strong and confident swimmers.
Apprentices may also need to assist in other duties around the centre when required as the needs of the leisure centre may change.
We are looking for an apprentice who has a positive attitude, good communication skills and a person who is flexible in terms of working patterns
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 Hours shift work
Weekly Wage : £200.00
Application Deadline Date : 28/11/2019
Possible Start Date : 05/12/2019
Personal Qualities : Apprentices must be friendly and approachable and have a keen interest in the leisure industry.
Skills Required : Apprentices must be strong swimmers as they will eventually be providing the supervision and safety for swimmers within the leisure centre. You must also be able to work well within a team and have a friendly approachable personality.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Future Prospects : Possible progression onto further qualifications and a full time job
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Leisure Operations.
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location