Job Title : Sports Coaching Apprenticeships - Leicestershire (x20!)
Employer : Leicester City Council - Sports Services
Location : Leicester, Leicestershire, LE3 1JN
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-50254
Vacancy Short Description : This year ‘Coach Core Leicestershire’ will employ up to 20 young people who have the potential of becoming the future sports coach!
Qualifications Required : You do not have to have previous experience of coaching the sport as full training and support will be given.
Vacancy Full Description : History and Background -
In July 2012, The Royal Foundation launched Coach Core; an innovative and exciting sports coaching apprenticeship, targeting young people wishing to gain further education and employment in sport. We’ve watched our number of female apprentices increase year upon year, however, we wanted to make a real difference with our new programme in Leicester, and provide a real focus on increasing the number of applications from under-represented groups, including females. Whilst women (and other under-represented groups) have had increased opportunities to get involved in sport in recent years, we’ve found that it is still difficult for some to take that leap to a sport or physical activity based career. Indeed, with the number of active female coaches and participants still significantly lower than males, we would particularly like to encourage women and help them to thrive, by building a strong empowered team who can help inspire their community and create real change to the dynamics of the sporting community.
About Coach Core
In each Coach Core location, local employers work in partnership to identify a range of training opportunities, events and workshops for apprentices to access. We worked have with over 150 employers and 500 apprentices across the country. Therefore, whilst successful applicants are based full time with one employer (for between 15-18 months), they are also able to access a range of additional qualifications and events not seen on any other programme of its type. Each Coach Core programme operates with a dedicated full time tutor, who delivers all aspect of the qualification and supports apprentices to put this knowledge into practice at work. Each employer also dedicates a member of staff to support and mentor apprentices, ensuring they gain knowledge and experience from experienced, high quality staff.
‘Coach Core Leicestershire’ is made up of lots of different employers all looking for a new apprentice sports coach (Listed below)
Aylestone Park FC
Leicester City Council - Sports Services
Leicester City FC - In The Community
Leicester City School Sport & Physical Activity Network (SSPAN)
Leicester Hockey Club
Leicester Riders Basketball Club
Leicester Tigers Rugby Club
Leicestershire County Cricket Club
Rocket Youth Sports
TayPlay SPORT LTD
Waterfront Sports & Education Academy
Tom Flowers Cricket
Coach Core Benefits
Involvement in the Coach Core programme brings a wealth of benefits not seen on other sports apprenticeship programmes. These include:
• The opportunity to achieve recognised qualifications and access weekly vocational training, as required by employers within the sports industry.
• Regular mentor support and experience of working alongside industry professionals, including Sports Development Officers, experienced sports coaches and personnel from National Governing Bodies.
• Practical experience of working in the industry, through curriculum and afterschool coaching, community activation, youth provision and sporting events, amongst others.
• The opportunity to learn and share best practice with other young people, become a role model and give something back to the community.
• The opportunity to attend exciting events and training, through other employers, linked partners and the Active Partnership.
What’s involved? - Successful applicants will:
- Help to inspire children, young people and others to develop and lead healthy active lifestyles
- Shadow existing coaches and support existing sessions and activities
- Assist in planning and delivering sessions, taking the lead with small groups as directed
- Assist in assessing, recording and reporting on participant progress and development
- Support the wider activities of their employer, which may include administration tasks, social media marketing and events
- Assist in maintaining the health and safety of sessions/activities at all times
- Share knowledge and ideas with other Coach Core apprentices, to help improve coaching delivery
Applicants must also:
- Possess a passion for physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
- Be organised and able to work effectively in teams and as an individual, always maintaining a professional approach to work.
- Be able to relate well to, motivate, and encourage others being conscious of being a positive role model at all times.
- Have an enthusiastic attitude to life and work.
- Have the ability to make learning and work fun.
Number of Positions Available : 20
Working Week : 30 hours shift work inc. evenings and weekends
Weekly Wage : £117.00
Application Deadline Date : 24/02/2020
Possible Start Date : 02/03/2020
Skills Required : Candidates must be enthusiastic about wanting to work within their chosen coaching area and be committed to the 15-18 month apprenticeship.
Future Prospects : Possible progression into full and part time coaching roles, further qualifications, Level 3 apprenticeships and employment in other sectors (for example youth work or leisure)
Training to be Provided : Level 2 Community Activator Coach Apprenticeship
Functional Skills in English and Maths
Other Information : Successful applicants will be involved in a paid full-time sports coaching training programme, for a period of between 15-18 months (dependent on final assessments). At the end of the programme, apprentices will leave with recognised skills, knowledge and a wealth of experience working as an apprentice sports coach, plus the experience of supporting a range of events unique to this programme.
Please note that apprentices will be expected to do at least 20 hours delivery work per week; this may be in a shadowing or assistant role initially and will likely include evening and weekend work. Apprentices will also have to attend 8-10 hours of education each week, which will take place in Leicester with the rest of the group.
Here are some top tips and info for candidates wishing to apply:
1) Be completely honest in the application. We will be asking for evidence and will check any information given.
2) Tell us about YOU! This programme wants to give young people an opportunity to succeed so we are looking for leaders, people who love sport and amazing stories NOT who is the smartest or the most qualified.
3) The 2 day recruitment day will be mainly practical so be ready to roll up your sleeves and get involved at all times!
Candidates should ensure that they think carefully about where they would be best placed, where the activities/sessions take place, how they will get to and from the office and sessions and the type of sport they may be delivering.
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : This programme will be open to all, we welcome applicants from female, black, minority, ethnic (BME) communities, disabled people and lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities, as they are currently under represented within our workforce. This is a fantastic opportunity for those who are not in full time education or employment at the moment to start an unrivalled 15 month programme of learning, which will enable each apprentice to gain meaningful qualifications and have full support and mentoring based on their individual needs. Coach Core can create amazing opportunities for your future, even if it isn’t within the sporting community.
Please note, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed with your choices but we will do our best to ensure that you have a placement that you enjoy and can easily travel to.
The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early
The map below shows the employer's location