Job Title : Activity Leadership Apprentice
Employer : Furze Platt Leisure Centre - Maidenhead
Location : Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7NQ
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-50633
Vacancy Short Description : Furze Platt Leisure Centre are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual with a passion for health and fitness to join our friendly centre as an Activity Leadership Apprentice!
Qualifications Required : No Qualifications Required
Vacancy Full Description : Furze Platt Leisure Centre are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work with them as a Activity Leadership Apprentice and gain their Level 2 in Activity Leadership!
90% of your time will be working in the leisure/wet-side of the centre. The other 10% will be based in the gym, in order for the apprentice to complete the fitness side of the Apprenticeship.
You will also work towards your Fitness Instructing Technical Certificate and Leisure Operations Level 2 (Which is included in the Activity Leadership Level 2)
Your duties will include:
• Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use.
• Monitoring and helping to maintain a safe and comfortable leisure centre environment by implementing organisational maintenance schedules.
• Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required.
• Assisting customers with enquires in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care.
• Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility.
• Taking occasional responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff.
• In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies.
• Meeting the training and development requirements of the job role.
• Reception duties including telephone enquiries and face to face enquiries
• Working within the job role description at this level, recognising the standards and professional limitations that this provides, referring to appropriate members of staff for guidance and support.
• Maintaining a safe pool environment through excellent lifeguarding practices
• Carrying out regular cleaning and maintenance regimes
• Preparation of activity area and equipment
• Attendance at regular pool training
• Assisting with gym tours and inductions
• Showing members how to use the gym equipment and machines
• To support the coaching team when required to maintain continuity of teaching and excellent customer service
• To cover lifeguard positions when needed to fit the needs of the swimming lesson programme and centre pool programme
You will work towards your Activity Leadership Level 2 through work based learning delivered by Lifetime Training as well as your National Pool Lifeguarding Qualification, Fitness Instructing Certificate (Included in the Activity Leadership Diploma)
To be considered for this role, you must be a strong and confident swimmer.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 32 Hours Per Week Inc. Evenings and Weekends
Weekly Wage : £124.80
Application Deadline Date : 24/02/2020
Possible Start Date : 02/03/2020
Personal Qualities : Ability to work within a team
Skills Required : Strong Swimmers - Candidates will be required to work towards their NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguarding Qualification)
Strong interest in the Sports and Leisure industry
Future Prospects : Possible progression onto further qualifications and a full time position
Training to be Provided : Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership
Functional Skills in Maths
Functional Skills in English
Functional Skills in ICT
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The map below shows the employer's location