Job Title : Lifeguarding and Fitness Apprenticeship
Employer : 1Life - Harpenden Leisure Centre - St Albans
Location : Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2HU
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Fitness and Active Leisure
Vacancy Reference : VAC-50727
Vacancy Short Description : Are you looking to start your Leisure career with a forward thinking reputable Lifestyle company? Harpenden Leisure Centre are offering an apprenticeship, where you will work towards your Level 2 in Activity Leadership and receive qualifications such as Level 2 Leisure Operations, Level 2 Fitness Instructor and your Lifeguarding qualification!
Qualifications Required : No Qualifications Required
Vacancy Full Description : Please be aware that you will spend 90% of your time Lifeguarding and the other 10% working within the gym.
Harpenden Leisure Centre are offering a great opportunity to embark upon an aqua life apprenticeship where you will work towards your Level 2 in Activity Leadership, Level 2 Leisure Operations, Level 2 Fitness Instructor and RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
This is a 12-15 month apprenticeship, training will be provided to work towards an Level 2 in Activity Leadership.
Your duties will include:
- Your role will mainly be based around the pool doing LIFEGUARDING
- Provide exceptional customer service to all members
- Ensuring the centre is always clean and tidy
- Assisting with gym tours and inductions
- Setting up/dismantling and storing away activity equipment sefetly
- Adopting a customer service focussed and commercial approach to swimming lesson sales and retention, similar to that traditionally seen in the fitness environment
- To support the coaching team when required to maintain continuity of teaching and excellent customer service
- To cover lifeguard positions when needed to fit the needs of the swimming lesson programme and centre pool programme
Through work experience, coaching, training and development (both practical and vocational), and from completing a structured learning programme to obtain work related qualifications, develop and demonstrate both an understanding of and capability to carry out the activities of a Lifeguard.
You will need to be a strong and competent swimmer. Experience in competitive swimming or previous training with a swim club would be advantageous.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
If you do not already hold your NPLQ, you will put on the course and must pass in order to continue with the apprenticeship.
Flexibility towards the hours and role are essential as you will be required to work on a shift-rota basis including evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
Salary and Benefits
• £150.00 per week (£5.00 per hour based on 30 hours per week)
• Good personal development opportunities available
• Friendly and supportive work environment
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 30 hours per week inc. evenings and weekends
Weekly Wage : £150.00
Application Deadline Date : 28/01/2020
Possible Start Date : 04/02/2020
Personal Qualities : Flexible availability for shift work
Skills Required : Candidates must have a passion for fitness and want to progress within the industry.
Must be a strong and competent swimmer
Future Prospects : Possible progression onto further qualifications and a full time job
Training to be Provided : Level 2 Diploma in Activity Leadership
Diploma in Leisure Operations
Diploma in Fitness Instructing
NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguarding Qualification)
Other Information : The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.90 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.15 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.70 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.21 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2019.
Things to consider : The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The map below shows the employer's location